Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Russians, Jews and New Yorkers

With a little down time this week, I have finally made some headway with The Russian Debutante's Handbook, which my boss insists is one of the funniest books she's read in a long time. So far it's living up to her endorsement. There have been a few occasions where I have caught myself on the train chuckling aloud as Vladimir, a Russian Jewish immigrant living in NY, stumbles through life. Great debut novel (thus far) by Gary Shteyngart. When I finally get around to finishing it, I'm looking forward to starting Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, which Helena just finished and ranks among the best books she's ever read. I take her recommendations seriously, as she was one of the first people I've met who knows and loves The Power of One, my favorite book of all time.

On the movie front, when I signed up for Netflix, I promised myself I would make it through the AFI 100. Tonight Jane and I watched #31 on the list, Annie Hall. The tagline for the movie, "A nervous romance" pretty sums it all up. Very Woody Allen (who's not Russian). Also sitting on top of the TV waiting to be watched: Sex and Lucia, Mystery Train and Brazil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home