Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Tearing up the Bay this weekend

I'm going windsurfing this weekend with my friend Paul. Back in the day, I used to be a windsurfing instructor for Force Five Watersports on Nantucket, which is kind of a joke because I was never very good.

I was living proof of the old axiom "those who can, do; those who can't, teach." Normally I don't agree with that saying, but in my case it was true - and if I do say so myself, I was an excellent teacher. At the end of a two hour lesson, most of my students were better windsurfers than I was. I credit it to the fact that as a beginner myself, I was able to break the process down into steps, whereas with some of more seasoned instructors, sailing was as natural to them as walking so they didn't really know how to think about it in pieces that a beginner could understand.

After this weekend's little refresher course (it has been about 6 years since I last windsurfed) I'm going to try to teach Jane. In exchange, she's going to teach me how to drive stick - a skill that is long past due.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home