Thursday, July 10, 2003

The Talk to Me Project

I've just applied to what I'm hoping will be a really great volunteer experience. The Talk to Me Project, which is part of the Life and Art Youth Education Initiative, is a non profit pen pal project that matches mentors with inner city teens and teens from urban communities who are in need of guidance, or just want someone to talk to about the things that are going on in their life. Mentors get matched with teens who keep a journal, which they send to their mentor to comment on, both from an editing perspective as well as to comment on content. In addition to mentoring, it's also a book club and mentors are responsible for reading and discussing assigned books with their mentees.

(sorry, would link to more info, but they don't have a web site. If you're interested in learning more, view this craigslist ad, which has contact info).

I am very excited. I used to work part time as a freelance editor for a company called Gradesaver, which I hated because I basically felt it was glorified cheating. I also went to the informational meeting for Big Brothers/Big Sisters, but the commitment was really intense and I didn't want to start something I couldn't finish. This sounds like the perfect blend of both worlds.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home