Monday, July 28, 2003

attention music appreciators

My friend Mat had a truly inspired idea to start a record club (much like book clubs, only discussing CDs or perhaps even concerts if relevant), and while it's still early, thought I would try to get a gauge on who might be interested.

The idea is that once every two weeks (?), someone would pick a CD or two, make copies for those folks who didn't want to buy it, and then we'd all get together to chat about what we liked, didn't like, etc. (FYI, re: the copying thing, we're assuming that if someone liked it once they heard it, they would run right out and buy a copy, or at least, fall so madly in love with the band that the next time the band came out with an album, you would buy it. Mat's particular about supporting the artists of the music industry. I, on the other hand, am poor and have no qualms about copying CDs. I know, I'm a terrible person).

Anyway, I think it's a great idea because since I've met Mat, I've been exposed to a whole bunch of new music across genres (Math rock, indie rock, rockabilly, blue grass, etc) and think it would be even better if other people were sharing what curled their toes musically. He knows a lot about musical theory and all that; I just like listening to music - any and all in between welcome. If you're interested, write me at smokeandashes_blog [at] hotmail.com and I'll add you to a mailing list to keep you up to date on when/where we're going to meet and what CD has been chosen. Also, feel free to weigh in on how often you think it would be good to meet or any other ideas you think would be helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home