Friday, July 25, 2003

Adaptation, Peace Like a River, Reverend Horton Heat

First things first, Adaptation has been sitting in its Netflix envelope for a couple of weeks now - I finally bit the bullet last night and watched it. Most people I knew who saw it had relatively lukewarm feelings about it; I would put myself in a similar category. I thought it started off strong, and then fizzled out. I thought it was well done, but slow. I thought Nicholas Cage was, well, Nicholas Cage - good but just a little bit annoying. I didn't hate it, but I probably wouldn't sit down and watch it again.

I finished Peace Like a River this morning exactly as the train was pulling into Embarcadero Station. I marveled at the perfect timing, finding something more special about it than it really was, but hey, I was reading a book about miracles. It was enjoyable and beautifully written. My only real complaint was that I thought all of the characters were written beyond their years, particularly Swede, the 9 year old who uses words most college graduates wouldn't throw around in casual conversation. Davy was written older and more self-possessed than you would expect a 16 or 17 year old to be, but that was the whole point. I have an easier time believing in "old souls" which is how Davy was presented versus overly intellectual - even a precocious 9 year old only knows a handful of million dollar SAT words. It didn't really detract from my enjoyment of the book; it was just something I kept noticing.

Tonight, Mat, his girlfriend Stacie, and I are hitting up the Reverend Horton Heat show at the Great American Music Hall. Any of you music fans want to join? I hate being the third wheel...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home