Monday, June 30, 2003

Planes, Trains, Automobiles (and a high speed ferry)

I finally made it back to Nantucket last night after 48 hours of traveling, with detours in Boston and Vermont to visit friends and family. After 7 hours in the car on Sunday (round trip to Vermont), the only thing my sister and I wanted to do was to get home, eat the fluke my brother-in-law had caught that day, drink a few cold beers and go to bed. Alas, was not to be. We arrived at Nantucket airport, bought out tickets, got our boarding passes, was told the plane was going to leave early (they leave as soon as they have a full plane, which is only 9 people, so they often run early and just shuttle back and forth). As our departure time rapidly approached, however, so did the Nantucket fog. Kind of like trying to land a Cessna in the Presidio - it's just not going to happen. So instead, we hopped on over to the high speed ferry (which is better than the 2.5 hr ride it would have taken us on the Steamship). I sat and had a couple of beers with a few familiar faces, including my 7th grade math teacher and another high school teacher (who, incidentally, was the only teacher at NHS to ever give me a detention). Finally made it home, dropped my sister off, and then went out for martinis with my dad at my old restaurant, The Seagrille.

It's good to be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home